The two-story, 10,000-square-foot clubhouse, built in the commercial prairie style with a terra cotta roof, dates to 1919. The property was Pontiac’s original water works facility, and its well was the source of the city’s drinking water until the switch to Detroit water in the 1950s. Later on the building became a community center named for Hayes Jones, a Pontiac native who won a gold medal in hurdling at the 1964 Summer Olympics.

Pontiac Waterworks Building, 1921

Pontiac Waterworks Interior

Pontiac Waterworks Building, 1921

Pontiac Waterworks Exterior

Pontiac Waterworks Building, 1921

Pontiac Waterworks Exterior

Pontiac Waterworks Building, 1919

Pontiac Waterworks Building, Workers

Pontiac Waterworks Building, 1919

Pontiac Waterworks Building Exterior